Thursday, November 29, 2012

Battleship


One that I have been wanting to watch, yet haven't found the chance yet.  It intrigued me somewhat, how can they make a movie based off a game?  Oh, with an alien invasion.  While it's not original, it did peak my interest.  After the movie ended, I can say that I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would (considering the numerous negative critical reception the movie received), and I would watch it again if I had the chance.  Yes, there are a few flaws but it's easily overlooked.  Many events were bordering on the near impossible and typical film cliche where it just works.  The beginning was somewhat slow, and I don't think it made too clear of the time frame (except that you know when it cuts to the present).  The chicken burrito thing was pretty funny (even though others in the audience didn't share my weird sense of humor).  You sit there waiting for the aliens to appear and it takes a while, but at least once they do appear, it's much more interesting.

Too bad they opted for humanoid aliens, I guess it makes sense since they come from a similar plant to Earth.  Still, if they have elements that's not in our periodic table, what's to stop life as we "don't" know it.  The aliens are absurdly powerful and advanced in technology, so they are intelligent beings, yet they do get out-maneuvered constantly by supposedly inferior beings.  It doesn't explain too properly how their targeting systems work, they aim for the mechanical man-made structures and weapons, but leave organics.  Although they then hunt them out later on, or in the latter part of the movie, the weapons system just stop...  Furthermore, they should have expanded on the backstory of the aliens (and cut out some crap in the process), all we know is that possibly they are in a war torn world and they learn of this world from the message.  They then send a convoy to check it out and possibly invade and take over by sending back a message... yeah...?  No clue.  I mustn't have paid much attention.

Seriously, I did find the aliens interesting and wanted to know more about their motives.  The feel of the overall movie is very Transformery, from the alien technology (emitting similar sounds and the movement of parts) to the style of the narrative and the score.  I'm sorry, but it did feel like a rip off.  You would expect something based off a board game to reference it in the movie right?  Maybe a forced scene or just a cameo shot of two guys playing the game, but no, what they did was very clever.  I won't spoil it, but it was intense, and I didn't realize it until the scene was nearly over, very very clever (don't look out for it though, otherwise you'll spoil it for yourself).  One thing that is ridiculous is the way they obtain the last ship, extremely improbable, it would have been stripped yet they still found ammunition?  If you think about it, it was a cruel movie with many deaths due to the sinking ships (if gave you a despairing feel).  The ending definitely leaves out an opportunity for a sequel, it's all but definite.  A worthwhile movie to watch, the story is coherent enough to enjoy.
Blogger Widget