Friday, August 2, 2013

Groundhog Day


The main reason I ended up watching this was that I wanted to see how the main character, Phil relives the same day over and over again.  You can probably guess, but this situation can give rise to some very funny scenes.  I wouldn't say the film disappointed, but it wasn't as funny as I had anticipated, and dare I say it, it was slightly boring once the initial rush ended.  I liked the part where Phil tries to kill himself (and succeeding) but only ends up coming back to that day again.  It gives some food for thought, since Phil ended up resorting to doing some things that he wouldn't dare do normally, what happens if on that day, unluckily, that was the last time the day repeated?  There was always that risk, and then his life would be ruined (but I guess by that point, he was so sick of the day repeating that he didn't care).  I didn't realize at first that he was going to relive that day so many times, considering how familiar he is with the happenings around the town, and what he ends up being proficient at (piano, French, ice sculpting etc), it's at least more than half a year.  I liked the ending (don't we all?) since it's a happy warm ending, expected, yes, but still good.

Blogger Widget