Monday, November 21, 2011

Book Review: The Red Pyramid



Review: #110
Title: The Red Pyramid
Series: The Kane Chronicles - 1st book
Author: Rick Riordan
Read Before: no
My Comments: The Red Pyramid is ultimately a good book, but unfortunately, is overshadowed by the author’s other work, Percy Jackson.  The overall feel and structure of the book is extremely similar to Percy Jackson, enough so that it feels kinda like a rip off.  They both have the main character having important ‘real’ dreams, both have a quest of some sort with a deadline, and both have a similar way of revealing things, this is just to name a few.  I’ve read about other people complaining how this book was just basically having the characters, Sadie and Carter, running to one place after the next, and I agree, BUT it was still done in quite an entertaining way, and I personally didn't think it was a waste of time.  The plot twist at the end feels similar, maybe it’s because it’s one of the author’s style, nonetheless, it was still quite enjoyable.  I didn't really like the way magic was done, the core of it was too similar to Eragon to feel original in my opinion (speaking in a magic language, in this case it’s Egyptian, and then it costs the user energy).  I liked how at one part the author referenced the Percy Jackson series, it was quite cool.  For some reason, I keep confusing the two main characters here with the two main characters in The 39 Clues series, they feel like the same, or at least similar.  One major flaw in the series would be the alternating narrative, it’s good for the first half of the book, but as it gets on, the two characters start to blur together and they don’t have a distinct style each, I found myself often mixing up who was talking.  Overall though, it is a great read, but it’s always going to be compared to Percy Jackson, which is, honestly, much better.  However, I look forward to the next book.
Rating: 7/10
Blogger Widget