Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen


Had a went through the Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen two-disc dvd today. I watched the movie for only the third time (which is pretty good, considering that I really liked Transformers in general), and it was still quite enjoyable. Well... by enjoyable I meant if you didnt have anything else to do and you dont mind a very very bad plot. I admit I am biased, but I do kinda like this movie, and probably everyone agrees, the first movie is just tons better. ROTF just didnt have a coherent plot, and it's very simple, evils guys build evil machine to destroy world, stop evil guys, done.

I guess the action is pretty good, but just that the bits in between the action, is very boring, it's the scenes with the humans, I'm thinking, they never used to be this boring, at least with Transformers (2007) it had meant something and they were interesting in their own way, but in ROTF, they were a liability. There was a lot of pointless stuff going on, especially with Sam going to college and some very very holes in the logic. If the Allspark shard could revive Jetfire, why couldn't it revive Optimus Prime in the first place? Ignoring all these, there were some pretty funny moments, and the robot fighting sequences were pretty cool, I'd still recommend this to people... just not as much as I would for the first movie.

Onto the special features, I couldnt be bothered watching the commentary as the first ten mins couldnt even hold my attention and it goes on for the length of the movie, I didnt find it interesting so I ignored it. The conceptual artwork was pretty nice, and there was a few that I hadnt seen before on the internet. The pre-visual stuff was really really interesting, as you get to see a few ideas that never made it to the final movie, and it was really nice, probably to me, the most interesting of the special features. The "25 Years of Transformers" was good as well, since that focussed on the challenges designers had to faced with creating the toys, and it was a great insight. Extended Scenes were disappointing, there were three, but I am so glad they didnt make it into the final movie (and I see the point why they didnt), it just made you go "WTF". The "A Day with Bay: Tokyo" was so so, not bad yet not great either, and I didnt bother with the creation and progress of the making of the film, since that doesnt interest me.

All in all, still think it's a worthwhile purchase of the two-disc dvd (although it's now hard to find, with only the single disc, containing only the movie available in retailers near me) and the extra content is enough, but I wouldnt really bother just for it, most people would buy it for the movie only anyway.
Blogger Widget