Sunday, July 15, 2012

Book Review: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo


Review:  #228
Title:  The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Series:  Millennium Series
Author:  Stieg Larsson
Read Before:  no
My Comments:  This was again one of the books that I had wanted to read purely because it seemed to be a well known book (well, other reasons include a movie made from it and having an interesting title).  One of my friends described it as ‘intense’, and after finishing it, I get what he is talking about.  The beginning was hard to get into, and I kept getting confused over the names and by the end of it, I still have some trouble.  Once it got to around the middle (or just a bit before that), it sucked me in, as that was where the ball got rolling, so to speak.  The mystery was one where you want to know the answer, and the way that the main character investigated the whole affair was nothing short of amazing.  Unlike a lot of other crime novels, the process of finding the clues and solving the mystery did not feel superficial, and seemed entirely plausible.  One of the things I didn't like was the amount of background the author had put into the book, making it, at times, less interesting to read and causing me to think, was that bit entirely necessary.  Then there is all the relationship scenes that I have to get used to as I don’t usually read books that have this kind of stuff.  The big revelation wasn't as surprising as you would have thought, because it was actually quite easy to guess what happened to Harriet Vanger, but nevertheless, the solution of the crime was a good one.  The ending where it wrapped everything up went for too long.  Overall, it was an interesting book to read but nothing special.
Rating:  6.5/10

Blogger Widget