Sunday, April 21, 2013

Deep Impact


A comet heading for collision on Earth, with the ability to wipe out all life.  Interesting concept right?  In the end, Deep Impact feels boring and dragged on for far too long.  The movie started out like any other, with the discovery of the comet before skipping to something else, and it slowly (and with that, I mean really slowly) builds up to the revelation of the comet and what is being done to prevent the catastrophe.  The first half hour is a write-off, you can not watch it and still understand what is happening.  It doesn't feel like it adds to the movie too much, at that point, I was just thinking, would they get on with the film already coz I'm sick of watching what is in the end, inconsequential events.  Then the next section we have the first plan put into action, and that is a little bit more interesting.  I feel sorry for the person who was cast out into space though, leaving to die in suffocation.  I didn't like the ensemble cast, there were too many viewpoints and they weren't interacting with each other enough to make it worthwhile.  The could at least cut the Leo Biederman viewpoint (which would mercifully shorten the length of the movie as well).  Even though the impending disaster should cause a lot of urgency and tension, there was a noticeable lack of it.  It's thanks to the slow pacing, and in the end, I just wanted the movie to finish so I can carry on with whatever I was going to do next.

Blogger Widget