Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Independence Day


I liked how the film went right into it, showing off the alien spaceships as they arrived close to the moon.  Even after this first scene, things progressed quickly and we got to the meat of the plot.  The threat of invasion escalated, and you were left anticipating what would happen next.  One of the things that in my opinion was not needed was all the multiple viewpoints.  I don't think we needed to follow that many groups of people, if it was cut down to two or three, then it would have been much better and the plot could flow on faster.  Sure, they all converge eventually, but I felt in the beginnings, they didn't add to the story, and I was often left wondering why am I watching this.  When the aliens attacked, I think that was one of the more memorable moments of the movie, as the devastation is caused was just mind-numbing if you think about it (and I'm pretty sure that woman and her kids could not have survived in the maintenance room, especially when the door was still open, the fireball would have also consumed the room).  Another position about this movie is that they bothered to explain the motives of the aliens, why they are doing this.  We also got some good looks at the aliens so it wasn't an unseen threat.  While the ending pulled some strings, it was still good and enjoyable.

Blogger Widget