Sunday, February 6, 2011

Despicable Me


Despite respectable reviews and ratings (82% on rottentomatoes.com) I found Despicable Me to be boring and very dull, it’s nothing compared to some other animated cartoons (Toy Story 3 and Tangled comes to mind). It doesn't have enough storyline for the full 95 mins, and it tries to be all sentimental and stuff, but it doesn't build enough emotion with the audience or to the characters for it to work, so it just feels very lame and overdone. There’s no “journey” to the emotional attachment and lesson, it’s just from “I don't care” to “I realize I do care very care” in a matter of mins, very disappointing. There are numerous places where it caused me to chuckle, but nothing that is laugh out loud funny, I don't know why this movie earned so much money ($500+ million worldwide) when it’s just so blatantly disappointing (but I guess not as much as other movies such as Ice Age 2 and Shrek 3). It’s like, what is it about this movie that people love so much?! There's nothing original, it actually steals quite a lot of tricks and stunts from other places, slapping it together with a very very basic storyline, at least with Tangled, there are a few other factors into the mix that makes it much more complex. All in all, a pretty mediocre movie that is worth it to watch, but is not great masterpiece.
Blogger Widget