Monday, February 14, 2011

The Lion King


Disney’s The Lion King was released during what people now call the Disney Renaissance era, so one would expect it to be a good, if not a great movie (92% at rottentomatoes.com). They would be right, I think it is a fantastic movie and one that I hold nostalgia to, I had vague memories of watching it as a kid and it was great to finally watch it again. The overall plotline is actually a bit more complex than your average kids film, surprisingly, and it does build an amount of emotional attachment to the characters. Even at 17 years old, the animation does not even look old (well, I got the two-disc special edition DVD so it was digitally remastered) and is a great as ever. The songs were really really catchy and great, and is just so much better than the ones in The Princess and the Frog and Tangled (although there were a few gems in those movies too). I admit I was a little bit disappointed after the movie ended, as I was hoping for something better, I had a bit higher than normal expectation (and you know the saying, the higher your expectation, the easier it is you’ll be disappointed). The movie does have a bit of slow start as well, but at 84 mins long, it is a nice nice break from the plethora of movies that seem to be at least (or near) two hours long.
Blogger Widget