Sunday, August 28, 2011

Yamato Gensouki

Since I just finished Black Cat (which I thought was a decent manga, but wasn't particularly super duper awesome, and which I'll post up some comments later, probably much later) I wanted to read the other works of Kentaro Yabuki. I had a shot at his first work, and I was surprised at how short it was, only two volumes, but I do realise that he had to end it prematurely as it got rejected by Shounen Jump, which is a shame. The first volume is a write off, pretty boring and full of cliches, but it is the second volume where there's a lot of foreshadowing, and where it gets a whole lot more exciting and better. Why? Because all that talk about the hidden city in the first volume is starting to be realised here. Sure, the art isn't as awesome (he's really improved by the time of Black Cat and To Love-Ru), and the story is fairly average, it really shows that this is his first work, but it was just starting to get decent. The ending was too rushed and all that foreshadowing? We never get to find out anything, so sad, although the author had the intention of continuing, I doubt that would happen now, especially with the success of his other works overshadowing this one. Anyway, it was an okay read to pass the time, and I didn't regret reading it.
Blogger Widget