Friday, December 9, 2011

Book Review: Black Cat Volume 1: The Man Called Black Cat


Review:  #119
Title:  Black Cat Volume 1:  The Man Called Black Cat
Series:  Black Cat – 1st volume
Author:  Kentaro Yabuki
Read Before:  no
My Notes: A good beginning for the manga, I was looking forward to reading this series as it was by Kentaro Yabuki, the illustrator of To Love-Ru (and the story writer of Meyoi Neko Overrun! and Darkness). There was a lot more graphic violence than I had expected, with pretty much a lot of killing and blood. I’m not complaining and the tone is a lot more serious than what I was expecting to, I guess I’m too influenced by his work on To Love-Ru. The debut chapter wasn't too bad but it was kinda slow, the kill at the end worked well, and I like how the story of Train is slowly explained. He’s a typical protagonist with awesome powers and a cool attitude, but I still like him. It gets good when we get to the first proper multi-chapter story arc, and the introduction of Eve which worked out quite cool. I guess I shouldn't be surprised at what happened (especially to Sven) but I was, and of course the volume/chapter has to end on a cliffhanger, so I’m itching to read the second volume now.
Rating:  7/10
Blogger Widget