Monday, April 23, 2012

Negima! Magister Negi Magi Volume 22


VOL. 22

Note:  this will probably be the last volume I'll read (either that, or I'll keep getting the volumes as I see them and not seeking it out as I have been up til now) since I've completely lost interest in it.  To be honest, the story and art didn't captivate me from the start and I'm surprised I managed to get this far.  It's fast becoming a chore to just read this so I think it's time I give it up (you can tell from my comments in the last few volumes that I have not been very impressed with the chapters at all).

196 – Enter the New Heroes!!

It was pretty interesting, as interesting as it can be when they’re fighting.  Surprisingly, they are unbelievably powerful, which seems unbalanced, because on the one hand, there are people out there that is just 100 times more powerful, yet, here, with apparently one of the top ranking fighters, he and Kotaro just smashes them easily, it feels unreal.  However, this makes for quite an amusing fight and it was a good chapter overall.

197 – Project:  One Stone, Three Birds

Oh no, Negi is starting to think about his faults again.  In this chapter, the simple plan is let out, and I guess they’re hoping it works, certainly it sounds plausible.  Anyway, even Negi admits to the huge wall between him and Fate, the person who fatally wounded him before.  I just wished they’d stop ending the chapters with a head shot of a person smiling evilly, it’s just so overdone.

198 – Life-Threatening Showdown!!

The excitement ramps up a little bit in this chapter, not one, but two mysterious guys, it *must* be good.  The fight was actually quite interesting, as was the mysterious guy attacking Negi, just wished they wouldn't do it randomly.  At least Negi put up a good fight and didn't disappoint.

199 – Ako’s Heart-Pounding Examination Room

I usually like the chapters that star Ako coz I find them really funny, but this one was a bit boring.  The beginning was abrupt; I was reading it and thinking, did I accidentally skip a page or chapter?  There’s a cliffhanger for the ending again though, which is somewhat annoying.

200 – Respective Strengths!

I guess you can call this a somewhat interesting turn of events, in my opinion, it’s actually getting boring again.  We get to find out what’s happened to Asuna and Setsuna though, and they’re good at fending for themselves (which is to be expected).  Although Asuna’s rapid rate of learning is rousing Setsuna’s suspicions.

201 – A New Master/Disciple Combo is Born

A funny chapter, right from the beginning to the end, it was amusing to read.  The plot is still not strong enough, and doesn't compel me to keeping reading.  Rakan is a funny guy though, and I can't wait to see what else he’ll do.  However, I don't like the decision that Negi is going to have another master, I think Eva is enough…

202 – All Negi’s Got

Okay chapter, it was stronger in the beginning but when it got to the point where Jack Rakan started making a chart of powerful magic users based on strength…  Fate is right at the top of the list, and wow, he is really powerful which makes his first enough with Negi (and how Negi, much weaker back then, managed to actually stall him) all the more ridiculous.  The more I read, the more I get skeptical of Negi’s power.

203 – Magical Girl Yue

The ending was stronger this time when it skipped from Yue back to Negi, and it was funny at the training he was receiving from Rakan.  Also Yue’s memory loss might be a problem but I bet that she will learn a lot from that magic school and come back much more powerful than before…

204 – If I Coul Be Stupid…

The training continues as does the humor, Rakan is a funny instructor and his ego doesn't come off as annoying.  All the humor does come off from his stupidity though…

Overall

A somewhat boring volume, unlike the previous volume where it lightened up the whole story.  Negi comes around in a full circle again taking on another master with more training.
Blogger Widget