Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Forced Resignation: Criticizing One's Last Ever Shift

I have a complaint (don't we all?), and if you have a complaint, then naturally you would want to share it with as many people as you can...  Anyway, pretty much just today I was forced to resign at one of my jobs.  Before I go any further, I need to provide some back story.  This particularly job was only a casual one working in a supermarket, and I've been working there for nearly four years now (it would have been four years at the end of August this year), so it's a fair period of time (and I am actually the person that's been in that particular department the longest, one of the most experienced, and efficient workers).  I normally take around a month off, twice a year, so I can concentrate on my studies around exam period (which, coincidentally enough, is right now!).

This year, it's no exception, although I wanted to take an extra month off as I planned to go overseas for that long, so, all in all, two months break.  I asked the manager if it was okay, and she said yes (which was surprising in itself, though there would be at least some sort of resistance).  Fast forward to today, my last shift before my break, and what happens?  I come in, and she tells me that the store manager isn't too happy with the amount that I want to take off.  Why?  Since it's my last year of uni, when I come back, I will probably stay for around another 2 months before having to take a break again or quit, and during that total of four months, they can recruit and train a new guy.  The store manager does not believe that it is worth keeping this position available for me for two months if I was going to work for another two months only.  I asked, so what's her intention, and I got two options, either I cut the number of days I'm taking down, or resign.  I had already booked plane tickets, thus I must take at least one month, and I do not think it would be wise to work during the exam period, especially since I have been pretty much living off week by week with the lecture content, so I had to choose to resign.

The reasons given are fair enough, but what annoys the hell out of me is the fact that they told me on my last day before my supposed break (which is going to be much longer than I originally planned).  I took the liberty of telling them well in advance, I would have expected the same from them, at least telling me one week prior.  The reason I told them so early was so the manager could prepare for my absence, and also to see if there were any problems (so I can confirm my plans).  It's not the job loss that I am sad/annoyed/frustrated about, but the fact that they gave me such sudden notice.  Granted, they are well within their rights to tell me on a really short notice (like an hour), but etiquette would dictate at least a bit of advance notice, and not instantly on the spot, choose whether to shorten your break or leave.

Here I am now, having written a resignation letter ready to hand in, but I cannot help but feel a *little* bit of bitterness towards the company.  I do wished that I could have said goodbye to some of my work mates, telling them I am quitting, rather than now, abruptly contacting some of them.
Blogger Widget