Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Princess and the Frog


I watched The Princess and the Frog today, the one by Disney, and although it's not that bad, I dont think it's as great a story as Tangled. The story isnt as captivating and capturing as Tangled, and the typical gradual shift of the two leads into lovers isnt as sweet and touching, it seems just like that one moment they are neutral and not caring and the other, it suddenly dawns on them that they like the other person. The eventual moment where they both realise they like each other isnt that great either, it doesnt have that heart warming/wrenching feeling.

On the musical side of things, the songs arent very, how shall I say it, doesnt seem to fit that well with the movie, it feels a bit forced (I mean, for Tangled it was a bit forced, but at least it was 'relevant' to the current scene and story, and the lyrics are way more literal and having more meaning).

It does make a nice change to watch a movie that is traditinally animated (2D) rather than the CGI that a lot of kids movie are in these days, it's weird to think that 2D had been phased out for a while in the movies, when it feels like a classic way for an animated movie to be in.

The story was nothing what I had expected, I thought it would be about a princess in a more medieval setting and meeting the frog and eventually building up a relationship so she can kiss him (kinda like Beauty and the Beast) but instead, the girl is an everyday normal person and gets turned into a frog herself (she spends most of her screentime as a frog). Interesting, but... not my taste, as such, this movie hasnt really touched me, and doesnt live up to my expectations from what I had seen of it's reviews (84% in rottentomatoes).

Many parts of the movie I do feel is a bit... too scary for kids, and somehow it's rated G, wah?! I felt Tangled was less scary (although it did have more violence in terms of fighting) and that had a PG rating, ah well, I would never understand the ratings. The Princess and the Frog has evil demon type shadows and freaky scenes, and even some slightly offensive language (for a younger audience that is), which is very very surprising. I like the ending, how because the female lead is married to the prince(they were still both frogs), she turned into a princess and hence when they kissed they turned back to human, a very nice touch. Recommended to watch if you like the classic Disney movies back then, but have to be aware that it's nowhere near as good as those nor the Pixar movies.
Blogger Widget