Sunday, July 31, 2011

Book Review: The Lost Hero



Review: #77
Title: The Lost Hero
Series: Heroes of Olympus - 1st book
Author: Rick Riordan
Read Before: yes
My Comments: Weirdly enough, it was really enjoyable on the second time reading, the beginning didn't bore me like the last time. I think this was because I already knew the whole thing that was happening, and am not getting frustrated at the apparent lack of information in the first few chapters, and I’m picking up some little tidbits of subtle information here and there that actually hints at what is happening, and appreciating it more. This happens a lot as the story progresses, and especially when it gets to the meaty bits, already knowing everything, you can see how the author has subtly built up the backbone and plot of the story. This is something you won’t understand on the first read, and is only something I am picking up right now. Although the first time I had I read it I commented that there weren’t as many monsters they the main characters encounter so it wasn't as great, I still think that to a certain extent, but the ones that they do meet, the famous characters from the Greek myths, I think is unique in it’s own way and sets this series out apart from the Percy Jackson series. The story really do play out right through to the end, I can imagine the frustration and annoyance the suspense can make you, but I picked up all that was hinted throughout the whole book and what it was trying to say, I thought it was quite clever. The end is particularly nice, with the whole clinch and cliffhanger that just makes me don't want to wait for the next book, I want to read it now! Although the relationship between two of the main characters, Piper (such a unique name…) and Jason, was quite sweet, still like Percy and Annabeth’s relationship better (although it only really started to blossom in book 4). One thing that might annoy people a little bit (I know it annoys me), is that I’m so used to Percy being the most powerful hero in recent times through the previous series, that when Jason’s feats are expressed, I feel that he shouldn't be as great as Percy. Overall though, I think it is very very much worth rereading and I had a great time reading it.
Rating: N/A
Rereadability Factor: N/A
Blogger Widget